Thursday, February 3, 2011

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses....

I don't trust people.

Strong statement huh? It comes from years of witnessing and observing people with ulterior motives. Yes, I know everyone doesn't have a motive but in church it's hard to find someone that doesn't. People tend to attach themselves to people of influence. I see a lot of that in church. I remember a Pastor that I knew wanted his own ministry, I smile every time I see him because he looks real tired now that he has entered into his calling. I wonder if he ever thought it would be so difficult. I swear in the brief time that he has been Pastoring he's aged at least 15 years in his face alone. I can't imagine what the stress is doing to his mind and body. But it's what he wanted.

As he maneuvered through the popular circuit, placing himself in the right place at the right time. He said the right words, he had watched the right people and learned what was necessary to be the golden boy that people needed him to be and eventually he got his wish. The saying goes, "Be careful what you ask for you just might get it."

I think as PK's we see a lot of what's wrong with the world at large. In some ways we live overprotected, because we're submerged in church life for the most part. But within that culture, we see all that is twisted in the world. We see the movers and shakers. We see the insecure and needy. We see the social climbers. We watch through side eyes as if we're oblivious to the scheming and plotting, as if the manipulation and conniving is a part of the game.

And we question our integrity, because we've been taught to see, like we don't see.

I remember some people that had gotten together, they'd started having meetings at their house, trying to get support to get the board of elders to remove my Dad as Pastor. They had even convinced members that they claimed were disgruntled to come and disrupt the next board meeting. It fell through because their supporters never showed up. By the time all of this happened I had heard about it for about seven months. Austin, PK for 20 yrs, retired, Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment