Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The younger son .... took his journey into a far country

I had hoped I wouldn't have to break it down like this but, I remember watching Stan Foster's "Preacher's Kid". I originally didn't want to watch it because I felt it would create a kind of tunnel vision, but I finally broke down and watched it alone and then with a few people. All in all I think I've seen the movie at least 20 times.

I'm not kidding. The video's on my cell phone.

As I watched it with the group, I listened to the commentary of the audience. I heard people say the whole idea was unrealistic, that the female lead was too naive at her age. There was no way at 21 her dad would be that overprotective.  I don't think a lot of people got the prodigal son parallel in the movie. I even heard a pastor say that the daughter deserved all the trouble that she got, because she was rebellious.

Rebellious seriously!

What did I think about the entire movie?  I told Mr. Foster that it was an excellent effort and I appreciated it more than he'll ever know.

The lead character's faults were many. But her major fault was assuming that everyone she would encounter in LIFE, would be the same as those that she encountered in CHURCH LIFE. Was that her fault? I don't think so.
She had lived according to the plan. She never strayed from the ideals until she saw hope in a dream and got no support of that dream. She was never guided into anything other than, "dwell in the house of the Lord FOREVER". Even the "church boy" that was interested in her, and went respectably to her father was told that she wasn't interested in dating.

Now I hear the argument that as her parent, her father would've known what her limitations were. I agree, but think about it she was a product of what she had been raised to be. Her limitations were a direct result of how limited her horizons were. This brings us back to the idea that PK's are wild and act out, outside of their parent's reach and eyesight. It may hold true for some, but do you blame them? They have an opportunity to be the unbridled free spirit they never have occasion to be and they take FULL advantage.
I've been a PK longer than my memory; I have never been a wild one. I've never had a wild moment. I guess I just never saw the need. But when a person feels their spirit being suffocated and it seems like no one around understands, they do strange things. It's not exclusive to Preacher's Kids believe me. I understand it better than I can tell.

I've said before that we've been taught as PK's how to "handle" our emotions and pretty much deal with our issues internally. It's an unspoken truth. The spotlight falls on you so whatever you're experiencing should outwardly be accompanied by a smile and a "God is good". I'd never deny that God is Good but some days as a PK, I felt like I didn't want to put on the show. I felt like I just wanted to be angry for a while, like things weren't working out and no one could give me anything but a "pray about it".
That should sound familiar to at least 200 of you.

Because for us the answer was not a prayer away, especially since there were so many other things we pray and don't see the answers yet. Sometimes we don't want to talk to our parents because it's their JOB to believe what they teach in church. They never show signs of giving up and never speak of times when they just wanted to throw in the towel and say "this isn't working".

We can't raise questions of insecurity, loneliness and frustration. How do you take that to people who's stand is you will follow Jesus no turning back, praise the Lord, no turning back?

You don't.

You do exactly what they say, and PRAY.

You pray that the questions get answered.
You pray that the hurt goes away.
You pray that you stop being so angry.
You pray that you find someone that understands.
You pray that this breakthrough you always hear about happens before you lose what little faith you have left.
You pray for real friends that you could confide in without judgment.
You pray that somehow in the midst of your insecurity, there's a light at the end of the darkness that keeps overtaking you.
You pray that the morning comes.
You pray for a new life.

And you feel better at least for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment