Monday, August 26, 2013

ME? Marry A Pastor?

Years ago a lady came to our church and prophesied to my mother that I, YES I, would marry a Pastor. I fell to my knees and cried that day. After they managed to scrape me from the floor, my ear was filled with congratulations. I thought to myself are these people insane. Why would you congratulate me this was NOT good news. I swear now that I retell it, I find it hilarious. I was comforted a few weeks later by another visiting preacher who said, "God's spoken word can change, look at Hezekiah." I breathed a sigh of relief.

I sighed because, I really didn't think the just God that I had heard about all my life would be that sadistic and subject me to more church people. No, he's far too merciful for that. He loves me right? I know God has a since of humor, but come on. I hope you notice I'm trying to convince myself.

Most PK's would probably be fine with continuing the legacy of the Levitical ministry. I've said it once, I'll say it again. "Nope, I'm Good" (smiles)

I think about the many persons that people tried to set me up with their good minister friends or the guys that preached at their church. I smile at the offer and conveniently lose their number. We once had a interning Youth Pastor at our church that announced in a Bible study that the Lord had spoken to him and told him that he was gonna marry the Pastor's daughter. I looked at him and had to literally hold myself from laughing. He obviously meant some other church, some other pastor, some other daughter, because he didn't mean me.

At 24, this young man was a couple years younger than me, had previously been divorced, and couldn't keep up with me if I'd given him a road map and a head start.  Add to it, that he said he couldn't bring himself to sit at a table and eat.

Wait, What?


I'm the definition of a socialite. I've always been that way. The party begins and ends with me. Jesus would be proud. People call me after I don't attend events and ask me why I didn't show up. I love to cook and love catering personal functions. Obviously, this man was delusional. I'm sure he'd gotten his wires crossed on that one.

PK relationships are difficult. We live in the limelight so anyone that attaches themselves to us must carry that same responsibility. It's hard to make a decision based who you would want to spend the rest of your life with based on that idea alone.

Even though they say God can surprise you, I strongly doubt me marrying a pastor is the one he had in mind.

I remember my boyfriend had some sexual status on his Facebook page, and not only did my mother comment under it, but she came at me like I'd written it. 
Liz, PK for 6 yrs, Toronto
I feel her pain!!


No comments:

Post a Comment